Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had copies of the biennial reports of the Mental Health Act Commission. I am a research student and these reports would be super valuable for my research. Unfortunately, I have only be able to get digital copies of the 1st and 13th biennial report. So, I would appreciate your help with finding the 2nd to the 12th biennial reports. Thank you!
I have the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th reports in PDF format. Can you give me an email address to forward to, I don’t think I can attach them here.
I’ve found the 8th–13th on the computer, and the 5th–7th (and some later ones) are on the Internet Archive: Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine
I’ll upload them to MHLO as soon as I get a chance.
I hope we can find the first four next!
Hi Lisa! Thank you very much for getting in touch. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks again!
Hi Jonathan! It is great to hear from you. I would appreciate if you could put them up here or send them to my email address in the alternative. Thanks Jonathan!
Found the very first report online, from 1983–1985! https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/235876/0586.pdf
That is impressive Jonathan!
I found 8-13 as digital files in my folders. Looks like that was when they started issuing them in that format.
I’ve added these to the Mental Health Act Commission page.
- MHAC, ‘First Biennial Report 1983-85’ (1985)
- 2nd: 1985-1987 (wanting)
- 3rd: 1987-1989 (wanting)
- 4th: 1989-1991 (wanting)
- MHAC, ‘Fifth Biennial Report 1991-93’ (1993)
- MHAC, ‘Sixth biennial report 1993-95’ (1995)
- MHAC, ‘Seventh biennial report 1995-97’ (1997)
- MHAC, ‘Eighth biennial report 1997-99’ (1999)
- MHAC, ‘Ninth biennial report 1999-2001’ (2001)
- MHAC, ‘Tenth biennial report 2001-03: Placed amongst strangers’ (2003)
- MHAC, ‘Eleventh biennial report 2003-05: In place of fear’ (2005)
- MHAC, ‘Twelfth biennial report 2005-07: Risk, rights, recovery’ (2007)
- MHAC, ‘Thirteenth biennial report 2007-09: Coercion and consent’ (2009)
Thank you Jonathan!
A post was split to a new topic: Locating Richardson committee report and Orville Blackwood inquiry report
8th and 9th were my favourites: interesting to note what they said about MHA applications when the grounds under s13 were met by the ASW(!) was not being told from where the bed would come!
If you have the contact details of Mat Kinton at CQC (assuming he is still there) then he might be able to help with the missing reports. He collated and wrote many of the biennial reports at the MHAC and was noted not only for his extensive knowledge about every biennial report ever written but also having an extensive library of all MHAC publications.