Locating Richardson committee report and Orville Blackwood inquiry report

Hi everyone! I hope you are having a splendid day.

I was wondering if anyone has copies of the Report of the Expert Committee, Review of the Mental Health Act 1983 (i.e. the Genevra Richardson Committee Report) and the Report of the Committee of Inquiry into the Death in Broadmoor Hospital of Orville Blackwood, and a Review of the Deaths of Two Other Afro-Caribbean Patients: “Big, Black and Dangerous?”’ (1993) by Herschel Albert Prins and others.

My research involves digging up and examining many of these older reports but unfortunately, most of these reports are not held in my University’s collections or are not easily accessible online. So, I would be grateful if anyone could share these reports with me or let me know where I might be able to find them. Thank you!

1 Like

I found this one and have uploaded it to MHLO: Department of Health, ‘Report of the Expert Committee: Review of the Mental Health Act 1983’ (November 1999).

The other document seems to have been a printed book which was published in 1993, so maybe never has been digitised.

If you contact Sashi Sashidharan, who works at University of Glasgow - look him up online and it is possible to contact him if you are a researcher by clicking on “contact” on their website - I am pretty sure he will have a copy of the Orville Blackwood Report as he produced a video about it back in the mid-1990s and was the lead campaigner about deaths of African Caribbean people in secure units around that time.