Sodium valproate and T3’s

Hello everyone. I hope you all well. I’ve been told that sodium valproate is not licensed as an anti manic. However, some of our patients with T3’s have sodium valproate as an anti manic. Does anyone have thoughts about this? Thanks in advance.

For any meds being used ‘off-licence’ it just needs to state on the form the purpose for which it is being used.

That’s what I thought but external pharmacy audit highlighted this stating 1 specific brand for anti manic treatment.

There has been a great deal of publicity about the harmful use of Valproate in pregnancies - with long term damage to children.
I believe it IS also used to control psychosis. In 2015 my brother was given Valproate when he was an inpatient in a mental unit without any consultation.
This is one of the many instances of bad treatment he experienced.
He died in hospital on 3 June 2022 while on Section 3 and an Inquest with jury will take place in Woking Court on 9 - 13 October 2023.

News to me. Many people with bipolar take it with few issues- where did you hear otherwise?

The external pharmacy do regular audits. They say there is a brand of sodium valproate that is licensed but not epilim. It was news to me too.

I am so sorry for your loss.

1 Like

You can use in resistant depression etc.Mainly as Mood stabiliser & to reduce irritability,aggression etc.

1 Like

Hello all. I am a SOAD. The vagaries of the licensing system mean that some forms of the same drug are differently licensed. Semisodium Valproate (Depakote) was principally licensed for mood disorders, but the other forms of Valproate were not. However there is little to choose between the different forms in terms of efficacy, so SOADs often authorise Valproate, to include the forms licensed for epilepsy. Usually we type something like ‘anti manic or antiepileptic as mood stabiliser’ to cover options, including Lamotrigine too. As long as our authorisation includes reference to the indication of the treatment, then that would cover any form of Valproate. Ideally we make reference to an upper dose limit, as that is a bit vague for Valproate in the BNF.

1 Like