My British born family member has been detained in a Tenerife psychiatric hospital due to first episode psychosis and the consulate won’t help

Does anyone know the mental health law in Tenerife? I have a young adult family member detained whilst on Holiday with first episode psychosis and the consulate are not helping

Just Googled this and there is virtually no information on Spanish Mental Health Services. Tenerife is in Spain so Spain’s Mental Health legislation will cover what is happening to your young adult family member on the island. There is a court-based system where a judge decides on length of stay in hospital if someone has to be compulsorily detained. I would contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for advice about this as they will know how to help you.

1 Like

Some info here: Support for British Nationals experiencing mental health difficulties in Spain - GOV.UK

2 Likes

I am Spanish and I did a placement in Spain in a short/acute mental health ward, I will try and explain what I remember (please know that this was around 10 years ago).
My understanding is that when someone is having an acute MH episode, normally they are taken to hospital and assessed by a Psychiatrist. If the psychiatrist believes it’s in their best interest to be admitted, they admit them to the acute ward. Once there, a judge (and I think they are supported by a forensic doctor) they review the patient and either agree or disagree that they need to be admitted.
From what I remember, the length of stay will be determined by the state of the patient and subsequent reviews by the psychiatric team (unsure if the judge/forensic dr are involved throughout as well).
I have to say, my experience of MH services in Spain has been good, and from the Nursing side the teams are really good and patients are treated according to guidelines and in a very similar way to the UK.

I hope this helps.

Mary Suárez | Consular Officer & DITSO | Tenerife

British Consulate Tenerife | Plaza Weyler, nº 8, 1º | 38003 Santa Cruz de Tenerife |

+34 91 334 4785 | +34 928 262 508 | ECHO: 360 4785 l Mary.Suarez@fcdo.gov.uk

Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4 pm

Try them and see what develops…

Thank you

Mat

Perfect thank you