Circumstances in which patient can change nearest relative

Continuing the discussion from Contacting NR without patient’s consent:

Although there is a to speak to the NR - the patient has a right to CHANGE their NR.

To be absolutely clear, the patient has a right to apply to court to change their NR (or for the court to appoint an acting NR) but they don’t have the absolute right to do it themselves.
They could also negotiate with the NR (maybe through an advocate or MH professional) for the NR to delegate the role to another person.

1 Like