Challenge to IPP

Hi, if a patient wishes to challenge his IPP sentence, and to hopefully substitute it for a hospital order, what is the process to follow?

You would need to appeal to the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division) (via CCRC if the person has already had an appeal to the court of appeal) - you will need to see if the patient’s clinical team and an independent psychiatrist are able to firmly say P meets the criteria laid out in R v Vowles, best wishes Laura

1 Like