Strike Out - or Reinstatement - No equivalent in Wales

We obviously have the SM v Livewell case which deals with capacity to make an application to the Tribunal.

Obviously in cases where the application is invalid the Tribunal have the option under Rule 8 to strike it out however today I discovered that there is no equivalent in the Welsh Tribunal Rules.

The case I dealt with was one where I was appointed under R13(5)(a)(ii) - basically R11(7)(B). On reviewing all of the documentation, application and meeting the patient it became overwhelmingly clear that this was a case that in England under Rule 8 but the only mechanism in Wales would be to make an application to withdraw the application.

Has anyone else come across this? It seems a massive oversight in the design of the MHRT Wales rules

As far as I remember, the strike-out power was a new addition in 2008. I don’t know why the Welsh tribunal didn’t follow suit, as a lot of their current rules are based on the English equivalent.

Probably they still just decide that the proceedings should end, under the general case management powers. Rule 5 of the Welsh rules states: “The Tribunal may give directions at any time in relation to the conduct or disposal of proceedings.”

I hope that someone who practises in Wales can provide a definitive answer!

Yes seems strange, I haven’t come across this yet.
Slightly off topic but I also noticed recently the MHRT Wales rules do not have an equivalent reinstatement rule as we do in England (Rule 17(4)(5)). Having thought about this Rule 5 as Jonathan mentioned above I wonder if that would be an option in those circumstances, although there is no mention of timescales like we have at Rule 17(5).

1 Like

Reinstatement was another new addition in the Tribunal Procedure (First-tier Tribunal) (Health, Education and Social Care Chamber) Rules 2008. Maybe reinstatement and strike out were powers that the other HESC jurisdictions wanted in the rules. Neither s22 and schedule 5 of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 nor s65 and schedule 2 of the Mental Health Act 1983, which deal with the creation of the English and Welsh rules respectively, mention strike out or reinstatement. I reckon – if it wanted to – the Welsh tribunal could achieve the same ends using its case management powers.